Thursday, August 5, 2010

Making Jam

One of my favorite hobbies in the summer is picking berries and making jam. My friends and neighbors all like it too :)

My hobby started three years ago with wild blackberries when my mom came to visit. Last year I picked blueberries and made 6 small jars of blueberry jam. It was so precious, I only gave away 3 jars and that was tough to do since it was our favorite of the jams. So, this year, despite everything we have going on right now, I managed to can 18 jars of blueberry jam. It doesn't seem like that much with as many PB + J sandwiches that Colden and I eat. I have to admit that these are the first berries that I've canned that were not hand picked... but I couldn't miss the opportunity and it wasn't realistic to pick, can jam, move to a new house and leave for vacation all in 1 weeks time!

3 comments:

Kaitlin L. said...

You are such a homemaker! Someday, we'll get there :)

Renee Westcott said...

If you went to Baylor, we'd definitely call you Betty Baylor! I bet the jam is yummy yummy!

Nancy D said...

Bring one jar along with you to Breckenridge for us to sample. We made black raspberry the past two summers. Which do you prefer, the blueberry or blackraspberry? MOM